Wednesday, February 11, 2004

It's snowing again today and I'm so pleased to see it coming down. It's really dumping a lot of damp snow - not that dry powdery stuff that people pay so much to ski in. It's really saturating the ground.

Anyway, so I was listening to The White Stripes with Sweetie the other day thinking, "This song sounds so familiar..." Then I got it: Burt Bacharach's 'I Just Don't Know What to do with Myself'! Now I can't remember if Dionne Warwick or Dusty Springfield made it famous. It's funny to me to hear my kids listen to music I listened to when I was younger than they are.
Some of this remixed music reminds me of Mannerism in that they take the music of our Renaissance (60's -80's) and distort it rather than finding their own sources of inspiration. I like the White Stripes version of BB's song, but it does sound a bit tortured compared to the earlier version.