Thursday, February 19, 2004

I've been giving some thought to the willingness to communicate lately. Understanding how to communicate and being willing to communicate are entirely different fields. Someone brought to mind John Galt ("Atlas Shrugged") recently. When I read the book as a teenager, the character had a profound effect on my understanding of integrity. These days, he just seems like a grumpy curmudgeon.

At this point in my life, I'm working more along the lines of patience and understanding. A line from "Kundan" struck me:
"I beseech all the Buddhas who wish to pass away to please remain for countless eons to light the world for those who remain."
It's not a matter of getting what you can and running. That's the time to look around and see who else needs a hand.

"The hardest task one can have is to continue to love his fellows despite all reasons he should not."
This humbles me everytime I read it.

Being able to listen to and help others is a grand thing. Maintaining a state of willingness to listen and help others is where the work comes in.