Friday, October 01, 2004

I have become slightly obsessed with the idea of getting a dog after living my whole adult life without one. I want a Scottie, but none have come through the Scottie Rescue. So maybe a Cairn, so I signed up with the Cairn Rescue and asked a breeder what one would cost. I don't want a dog that costs $1000 so, moving along, we went to the Humane Society and found a little white dog that would fit the bill, maybe. The dog certainly thought so. $345. $345? To keep a little dog from a life of misery and homelessness? Umm. Someone else thought that was reasonable because the dog was adopted. Another dog suited me, but was adopted an hour after the picture was posted on the website.

Yes, I know there are lots of other dogs there. We don't want to pay several thousand dollars to fence in the whole yard to accomodate a large dog. Funny looking or deranged looking dogs - I can't promise myself that I would grow to love them.
Do I really want a dog? Thinking that maybe buying some more suet for the sparrows and thistle for the goldfinches would satisfy my pet need, I went to Petsmart today and walked out with a Beta fish. He's not a Scottie, but I haven't had to change my life to suit him.