Tuesday, May 27, 2008

If you're looking for a reason to drive to Boulder, this is the time to come to Long's Garden.  When I first moved to Boulder, it was Wintertime, all brown and dry so when Spring came along I was delighted to see this colorful expanse up the street on Broadway.   There are so many yards and gardens with irises in the area and this is the reason why.  I have a couple of dozen and I'm not sure where I got them, except they were all thinnings from other people.

While you're here, go a little further north to Harlequin's Gardens if you're interested in native plants.   This business seemed to start off as a labor of love in the 90's and and developed from a scruffy little operation open on the weekends to a well thought-of establishment open most of the week.  If you go, drive to the end of the dirt road for some great views of the Front Range north of Boulder.

image from http://longsgardens.com